Sunday, 16 August 2009

Shadowmancer


I've just finished this book. Yes! I got through one of my list! However it wasn't one of the Christian ones... although it has hints of it... which I will talk about in a mo... so when I'm done blogging my plan is to settle down and continue with "Let the nations be glad" which is do very much want to finish. And it's Sunday. Although I did get 'The Time Traveller's Wife' yesterday, as I'd pretty much finished Shadowmancer and was about to come home on a 6 hour train journey, which is quite good so far... although fairly confusing. I always find these time travel things a bit too much to take on... I just have to battle through it and appreciate the story, not thinking about the time travelling bit too much.. or else my brain starts to fry!

Anyhow... Shadowmancer. I've wanted to read this for a while because I know the author is a Christian and figured the story to be something like an allegory of the Gospel... a bit like Narnia. I was mistaken on that front... it's more along the lines of the Left Behind series in that it's kind of a fiction about I guess... one idea of how 'the end of the world' might come about.. in a pre-millenial sense. So there's this evil vicar who's decided he wants to kil God and get his powers, and he can get all these spirits and stuff... oh I'm not explaining it very well.

Basically... it's like if you believe from Revelation, that there will be a time when Satan will be free for 1000 years... although I don't even think that's in Revelation... isn't he BOUND for 1000 years. I dno... in reality I think it's all pictoral anyway. But still... IF you happened to hold that view... then this book is a fiction about how that COULD come about... the whole..Satan being loosed thing. However... even in the book he doesn't succeed and this angel character tells him it's not the appointed time yet and what not... sorry if that's ruined it for you. But yeah... so it's a bit dodge in places...

Good bits tho!! It DOES big up God and Jesus... AKA "Riathamus" and it uses some good illustrations and stuff to describe things in the Bible, and generally... the 'Christians' are good people, and the visions they have of God and Jesus go along with what the Bible teaches I think, about God's character.

I did enjoy the book for the story anyway, I quite like fantasy type things anyway... and I don't think it's as risky as the Left Behind series which a lot of people mistakenly think too much of I reckon, or The Shack... which because it's not explicit whether or not it is meant to be a true story... is in danger of misinforming people about the character of God and the nature of the Trinity.

If you can separate fact from fiction... and you like that sort of thing... I did think it was an enjoyable read, although slightly depressing in places where it echoed some nastier truths about human nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment